University of Winnipeg | 50 Years Search

Milestones


November 10, 1871
Timeline

Manitoba College founded

It had 17 students in its first year.

Read more >
February 28, 1877
Timeline

University of Manitoba Act passed

October 1883

Theology program at Manitoba College begins

September 1888
Timeline

Wesley College founded

Named for the 18th-century founder of Methodism, John Wesley.

Read more >
May 1893
Timeline

King Memorial Window placed

Its original home was in Convocation Hall of the Manitoba College building.

Read more >
June 3, 1896
Timeline

Wesley Hall opened

The cost of all contracts, from the stonework to the well & pump, was $71,700.32.

Read more >
January 1913
Timeline

The Annex/Matriculation Building (Sparling Hall) Opened

October 29, 1914

Manitoba College becomes only theological

The Board of Manitoba College turned over all responsibilities for teaching Arts to the University of Manitoba and taught theology exclusively.

October 1, 1917

Annex renamed Sparling Hall

April 8, 1920
Timeline

Woman's Auxiliary Of Manitoba College

Read more >
March 17, 1921

First St. Patrick's Day Fight

Read more >
September 21, 1922

First sociology course taught in a Canadian college or university

March 8, 1938

United College Act

Read more >
September 1938

Dr. William Creighton, First principal of united college

September 26, 1951

Theological Building and Library (Bryce Hall) Opened

Read more >
December 4, 1959

Ashdown and Manitoba Halls Opened

And several buildings were renamed

Read more >
February 8, 1963

Graham & Riddell Halls opened

October 28, 1966

Wesmen name chosen

Wesley + Manitoba = Wesman

Read more >
July 1, 1967

University of Winnipeg act implemented

Read more >
December 8, 1969

Institute of Urban Studies

The founder and first director of the Institute was Dr. Lloyd Axworthy,

May 10, 1970

Lockhart Hall Opened

Named after Dr. Wilfred Cornett Lockhart, second principal of United College and first president of The University of Winnipeg.

September 1, 1971

Dr. Henry Duckworth, 2nd president of UWinnipeg

His motto was "the city is our campus".

Read more >
October 9, 1971

rock of remembrance laid

Read more >
September 23, 1972

Centennial Hall Opened

Read more >
September 17, 1973

Bachelor of education program began

June 1, 1974

Official University Bookstore Opened

September 16, 1974

First Continuing Education classes

July 1981

Dr. Robin H. Farquhar, third UWinnipeg president

September 1982

Theatre Department formed

The first credit course in theatre was offered through the English department in 1968.

Read more >
September 14, 1984

Athletic centre opened

The building, located at Spence & Ellice, was renamed The Duckworth Centre in January 1992 to honour former President Henry Duckworth, who never missed a Wesmen game.

September 1986

Gallery 1C03 opened

Read more >
August 1988

Menno Simons College Affiliated

Through an agreement with Canadian Mennonite University, the college offers programs in Int'l Development Studies and Conflict Resolution on UWinnipeg's campus.

June 1989

Campus residences closed

October 22, 1989

Dr. Marsha Hanen, fourth UWinnipeg president

January 21, 1993

Eckhardt Gramatté hall opened

An intimate auditorium with 212 seats and a grand piano, it was formerly a lecture theatre.

December 2, 1994

Wesmen Women Basketball Record

On this date, the University of Manitoba Bisons defeated the Wesmen and ended their 88-game winning streak — which tied a North American record set over 20 years before.

October 1996

Bulman Centre opened

Provides office space for UWSA, student groups, and student lounge areas.

October 1999

Dr. Constance Rooke, fifth UWinnipeg president

January 2003

Dr. Patrick Dean, acting sixth UWinnipeg president

June 6, 2004

Dr. Lloyd Axworthy, seventh UWinnipeg president

Alumnus, former professor, and founder of UWinnipeg's Institute of Urban Studies.

Read more >
November 9, 2005

Wii Chiiwaakanak Centre Opened

Wii Chiiwaakanak means “partners” in the Ojibway language.

October 3, 2006

Sustainability Policy adopted

Read more >
September, 14 2007

Restoration of Convocation Hall

The space was restored to its original glory through both government funding and private donations, for which it was awarded the Heritage Winnipeg Preservation Award of Excellence in 2008.

February 12, 2008

Bill Wedlake Fitness Centre Opened

June 23, 2008

Online registration replaced in-person system

The Fall Term of 2008 was the first term for which students could finally register from the comfort of home.

September 3, 2008

Canwest Centre for Theatre and Film open for classes

Renovated space offers improved rehearsal and technical facilities, as well as in-house studio theatre, available for student productions as well as professional companies.

September 12, 2009

Spence Street Promenade opening

The completed Promenade was first celebrated with a Community Barbeque during Homecoming 2009

September 12, 2009

McFeetors Hall ribbon-cutting

Campus residences return after 30 years.

Read more >
August 26, 2010

Buhler Centre official opening

Named after philanthropists John and Bonnie Buhler for their sizeable donation that made the building possible.

Read more >
June 27, 2011

Richardson College for the Environment and Science Complex grand opening

The building is home to the departments of biology, chemistry, and environmental studies & sciences and was awarded LEED Gold designation.

Read more >
November 28, 2011

Indigenous Advisory Circle established

The Circle provides an Indigenous perspective to University governance and programming, and ensure accessibility for Indigenous students.  

February 10, 2012

AnX official opening

Home to an expanded University bookstore, offices and classroom space;rapid transit; as well as amenities such as Garbonzo’s Pizza and Starbucks.

June 17, 2014

Ribbon-cutting for Axworthy Health and RecPlex

Originally called the United Health and RecPlex, the building was renamed on 6 October 2015, in honour of Dr. Lloyd Axworthy.

Read more >
September 22, 2014

Dr. Annette Trimbee, eighth UWinnipeg President

Read more >
March 26, 2015

Indigenous Course Requirement approved by Senate

The approval by the Senate was in principle only; it was deployed for new students starting in the 2016-2017 term.

September 21, 2015

King Memorial Window restoration unveiling

Read more >
September 23, 2016

Downtown Commons ribbon-cutting

14-storey apartment building at 320 Colony Street with regular rental units and suites designated for students and new Canadians and their families, most with rent subsidized by the Province.