About UWinnipeg

The History of The University of Winnipeg

(Last updated December 2009)

The University of Winnipeg received its charter in 1967 but its roots date back more than 130 years. The founding colleges were Manitoba College (1871), and Wesley College (1888), which merged to form United College in 1938.

The University of Winnipeg, located in the heart of Canada, is a compact, diverse, multicultural academic community committed to access and excellence. The University of Winnipeg is a provincially and privately funded post-secondary institution with undergraduate and select graduate programs, as well as Collegiate and Continuing Education divisions.

The University of Winnipeg is large enough to offer over 800 courses in more than 40 subject areas from Aboriginal Governance to Women's Studies, yet small enough to make sure students connect with the University's award-winning professors. Home to more than 9,200 full- and part-time students, UWinnipeg is consistently ranked in the Top Ten of all Canadian universities when students are asked about their "Entire Educational Experience" by both Maclean's magazine and the Globe & Mail annual Report Card.

The University of Winnipeg is currently executing an ambitious Campus Development Plan that will guide the growth and change of the University of Winnipeg campus over the next ten years. At the heart of the plan is the University's commitment to providing students with an eco-friendly and relevant learning environment.

Time-Line

1871      Manitoba College was established by the Presbyterian Church

1877      Wesley College’s charter was granted to the Methodist Church

1888      Wesley College opened under the leadership of Principal Sparling

1896      Wesley Hall officially opened

1912      Wesley Annex was built, later renamed Sparling Hall. It served as a women’s residence until the
             1960's.

1917      Dr. J.H. Riddell named President of Wesley College

1931      Manitoba College sold its property and joined with Wesley College in the teaching of Theology

1938      Manitoba College and Wesley College join to become United College

1967      United College receives its charter and becomes The University of Winnipeg under the leadership of
             President Lockhart.

1988      The University of Winnipeg celebrated the 100th anniversary of Wesley College and the 50th
             anniversary of United College

1996      Wesley Hall celebrated its 100th anniversary

2003      The University's Board of Regents established The University of Winnipeg Foundation

2007      The University of Winnipeg celebrates its 40th anniversary