Campus Sustainability Office
Participate in the 2016 Commuter Challenge: June 5th - 11th
The University of Winnipeg is proud to once again be a participating employer in this year’s Commuter Challenge, and we want YOU to be a part of the action!
This year’s challenge runs from June 5th – June 11th, during a week-long period that encourages individual students and employees to ditch their vehicles and use other modes of transportation to work [and school], such as walking, riding a bicycle or hopping on Winnipeg Transit. The program is based on a friendly competition between workplaces and communities across Canada to see which has the highest percentage participation rates during the week.
Registration can be done in 1 of 2 ways:
1) Visit the Commuter Challenge webpage via the links provided below to register either as a student or employee (re: staff or faculty). All you need is an email address, your postal code and year of birth (optional).
- Please note that there are two registration options; be sure to select the appropriate employer category when registering (re: see below).
- For staff and faculty, register here: http://app.commuterchallenge.ca/commuter/register/JWwOw8
- For students, register here: http://app.commuterchallenge.ca/commuter/register/jO7bzj
2) Send your name, email, postal code and birth year (optional) to the Commuter Challenge Coordinator, Alexander Wieb at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 204-988-7618.
After registration, make sure to record and email your distance and mode of travel to/from the University of Winnipeg (in kilometers) from June 5th – June 11th on a tracking spreadsheet. to email@example.com. A user-friendly tracking template will be emailed out to all participants before the commencement of the challenge, and can also be accessed online. After the Challenge has concluded, upload your commuter data directly online, or email the completed spreadsheet to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can upload your commuter data daily, or wait till the end of the challenge and upload your entire week's worth of commuting data all at once!
We also invite you to join this year's Facebook event group: https://www.facebook.com/commuterchallenge
Great prizes will be awarded to individual and departmental champions! Don’t forget to register by June 7th, 2016 at email@example.com or via http://commuterchallenge.ca/register-as-an-individual/
New Sustainability Updates at UWinnipeg!
The Campus Sustainability Office is currently rennovating its website and we're excited about what's around the corner! Before our new changes are ready to go live, however, we wanted to share some exciting news of what's been happening on campus so far this year!
- The University of Winnipeg was recently awarded a STARS Silver rating with the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE).
- UWinnipeg's Richardson College for the Environment and Science Complex achieved LEED Gold certification through the Canadian Green Building Council (CaGBC) this past September.
- The University of Winnipeg was also the second highest performer in the category of 'Dining and Food' in AASHE’s 2015 Sustainable Campus Index publication, while the Student Association BikeLab was given honorable mention in the 'Transportation' section.
- Finally, The Campus Sustainability Office has just published the new Annual Sustainability Report for 2014-15, where you can learn about our progress towards the comprehensive sustainability initiatives, goals and targets that the University has committed to under the current 5-year Sustainability Strategy.
Stay tuned for a newly revamped website and some exciting endeavours from the Campus Sustainability Office in the New Year!